Sunday, November 20, 2011

response to The Cut-Up Method of Brion Gysin

To me, technique of “cut and paste” editing feel like making a new orientation for an old puzzle. Sometimes it will work but sometimes it just doesn’t make any sense. I think it largely depends on experience, so for the fresh hand, you have to screw up many times to test the line whether this will work or not. Burroughs thought that “all writing is in fact cut ups”. I feel that I cannot agree with him. Writing is a composition, and all the compositions have their own rules. It should be logic and descriptive so that people can understand what you are trying to say. Even though images and music both can be as informative as text, text requires more literal disciplines. It is far more than cut ups. People only will use quotes to support their ideas. Thus rearrange the composition is difficult. It’s hard to put pieces together but do not follow the hint and still let the new text make sense.
I haven’t thought about any cut ups of text but I have experience of video meshes.(all for interest purpose) And I think this kind of “rearrange” techniques also have been used in image manipulations. Photoshop does have many tools for users to copy and paste the partial of the image to make a new image. I’d like to try text cut ups, but I’m afraid it just doesn’t make any sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment